The Fastest way to make finger-licking, homemade Shawarma
Shawarma is a meat preparation that is originally from the Middle East. It has become a popular treat all over the world as lots of people love its delicious taste and sumptuousness.
It has recently gained popularity in Nigeria in recent years and Nigerians love it for its meaty content. The Nigerian staple foods usually do contain meat a lot too.
Also: How to make risky burger
Various shawarma grills and stands are located all over Nigeria and they usually sell for between N500 to N3,000 per Shawarma. This also depends on the region you are buying it from, the Shawarma size, the contents and ingredients used in making the Shawarma and so on.
Shawarma is a native snack sold on the streets of Turkey, Israel and other Middle Eastern countries. It is a world wide snack sold on the streets of Turkey, Israel, and other Middle Eastern countries. Shawarma is a world wide snack that is indeed worth its fame.
It is very delicious and yummy. Shawarma could also be called Chawarma or Shaurma. The snack is originally from the Ottoman Empire so we should give credit to them for that.
In this article, we will be talking about the various Shawarma recipes and also how to make delicious Chicken Shawarma!
- 1 So, what temperature is Shawarma best served?
- 2 Types of Shawarma
- 3 How To Prepare Chicken Shawarma (Home-made)
- 4 Ingredients of Chicken Shawarma
- 5 For the Shawarma marinade or sauce, you need;
- 6 How To Make Tahini sauce/ Shawarma sauce;
- 7 How to make Shawarma Bread.
- 8 Where to get shawarma bread in Lagos
- 9 How to make shawarma video
So, what temperature is Shawarma best served?
Well, Shawarma is best served and eaten when it is hot. No one likes cold Shawarma. This is because you really can’t taste all its sumptuousness and
Also: How to make meat pie
Types of Shawarma
Shawarma has two types;
- There is the Chicken Shawarma that is, Shawarma that is made of chicken slices.
- Then there is the Beef Shawarma that is, Shawarma that is made of beef slices instead of chicken.
Lots of people prefer chicken shawarma to beef Shawarma though. Also, Chicken Shawarma is more common than its beef counterpart.
Apart from chicken or beef, other things can be stuffed into Shawarma bread like hummus, Tahini, pickles, vegetables, lamb, turkey, goat, potato fries, and so on. All these make Shawarma so tasty and heavenly. We really need to say a big thank you to Ottoman Empire for this amazing snack they brought to the world!
How To Prepare Chicken Shawarma (Home-made)
If you love Shawarma so much, you should know how to prepare it. You can make your own Shawarma at home and its quite easy. All you need are the ingredients and the necessary equipments;
Also: How to make puff puff
Ingredients of Chicken Shawarma
- Chicken, specifically dark chicken. Dark chicken is from the thighs or breasts of a chicken. And it also must be boneless.
- You also need Shawarma bread or Tortilla wrap.
- Olive oil (2 tablespoon)
- Garlic powder(1/2 tablespoon – optional)
- Nutmeg (1/4 tablespoon)
- Salt (1 tablespoon)
For the Shawarma marinade or sauce, you need;
- Lemon juice (2 tablespoon)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoon)
- Milk Yoghurt
- 2 Medium sized garlic cloves
- 1/2 a cup of Tahini.
The Shawarma sauce or marinade is natively called Tahini sauce. And you can prepare it days before the day you will make your Shawarma. All you need to do is to store it properly in the freezer so that it doesn’t get spoiled.
How To Make Tahini sauce/ Shawarma sauce;
- Take the two medium garlic cloves and then mix it in a bowl with lemon juice.
- Let it sit that is after mixing it for up to six minutes.
- After that, take the Tahini, the milk Yoghurt, Olive oil and a teaspoon of salt and blend them together. Blend them together thoroughly well to make sure that the mixture becomes smooth.
You can whisk them together or blend them together. Just make sure it has a smooth enough texture. If you don’t want to bombard yourself with too much work on that day, you will be making the Shawarma, you can easily make the Tahini sauce days before making the Shawarma.
How to make Shawarma Bread.
If you don’t want to buy Shawarma bread, you can bake it at home. But we won’t be looking at how to bake Shawarma bread in this article unfortunately. The Shawarma bread has a major role to play in the yumminess and taste of the Shawarma. An awful bread has a potential to ruin the whole Shawarma even if the Yoghurt blend was good. So, if you are not too good at making the Shawarma bread, just buy from popular supermarkets around you.
Also: Yele’s oatmeal bread
- After making the Shawarma bread or buying it, spread it on a flat surface.
- You have to add your chicken strips to the yogurt mixture blended above.
- After you have stirred the chicken and the blend together, remove the chicken strips that would now have been covered in the mixture and fry in olive oil until golden yellow.
- Now, add the Yoghurt mixture to the shawarma bread and also add the marinated fried Chicken strips.
- Add some chilli peppers to the mix.
- Then roll up the bread wrap and tuck the edges leaving only the top sauce open.
- Now warm the bread roll in an oven or an heated pan for up to 3 to 5 minutes.
And voila! Your chicken Shawarma is ready and yummy to eat! Isn’t it simple? It is very easy to make. Just follow the guidelines carefully and blend the mixture very well.
Where to get shawarma bread in Lagos
If you don’t understand how to make the Shawarma bread, please just buy it from a supermarket store. The Shawarma bread is also called Tortilla wrap. You can add cabbage, cinnamon, cucumber to the Yogurt blend too. All these help the Shawarma to taste more heavenly!
Shawarma is indeed a blessing from heaven to Earth, let’s confess. It is so irresistible… This treat is loved by both young and old, male and female. Nobody is an exception and nobody should be exempted from enjoying the full delicious taste of Shawarma!
It is also the perfect treat for parties and birthdays! Once you know how to make it, you can make your loved ones happier by making them a sumptuous Shawarma.
How to make shawarma video
Photo Credit: Just A Pinch